The Nightmare on Our Street
Happy Halloween and Happy Fall Ya'll!! This story begins a few days ago. Joe comes home with a cold on Thursday. Ethan's nose had been running, clear mucus and no fever. Wasn't too worried, we were going to the Dr. on Friday for Ethan's 9 month check up anyway.
The Dr. didn't seem to think much of it when I asked, although I think he may have got sidetracked and never really answered me. But since, he didn't have a fever and there was no concern from the Dr. no big deal. Joe still feeling run down. Thankfully I feel fine. Hoping that Joe feels better on Saturday morning and that Ethan's running nose is cured by the vaporizer I bought for his room. We had wonderful lunch plans with some friends of ours, Jeff and Sue, and their little boy Finn.
Saturday morning arrives and Joe wakes up with a sore throat. Yikes! Ethan is covered in dried gunky snot and is all stuffed up. Poor guy. He didn't like me trying to get all those dried boogies off. Joe goes to one of those little clinic's and gets a strep test. He has strep. Ordered to stay away from baby for at least 24 hours, so he can get the meds in his system. So, Saturday was spent taking care of Joe and making sure Ethan got the snot sucked out of him so he could breathe better.
(weekends Joe helps out alot with Ethan, so Saturday was very tiring since Joe was pretty much locked away in our room.)
Then we were planning to go to M'boro for Trick or Treating with my cousins, but.... I felt a little off when we woke up Sunday morning. My throat was sore, but not strep throat sore. I think I'm having some trouble with my allergies, giving me some sinus problems. By mid-day- I'm feeling a little worn out. So after Ethan's nap we decided we'd go out to eat and then go to the grocery store to pick up a few items.
Here's where the nightmare begins....Joe takes Ethan while I'm taking lucy out. Joe gets Ethan buckled in, then gets the trash (we have to haul our trash to the dumpster). I'm getting Lucy back in and grabbing my stuff to head out and lock the front door. When I'm greeted by my husband who asks a question he already knows the answer to. "do we have a spare key to the car?" um no, why?, I reply. Joe nervously states, "I gave Ethan the keys, and he locked himself in the car." By now, I'm starting to slightly panic and thinking in my head and then out loud, why did you give him the keys!!!!
Then to myself, I have an argument at Joe, just not with him... I told you never to give Ethan the keys, a. they are dirty and all he wants to do is chew on them. b. he could poke his eye out c. he has his own play keys and d. we only have one set of keys and he could lock himself in and us out.
Joe meanwhile, is calling AAA to see if they can get someone to come out and rescue baby from car, in turn rescue mom from going insane. I come out to the car, and look at Ethan, who's happily playing with the keys and I start bawling. My poor baby, is locked in the car, he's going to be hungry soon, it's time for his dinner, how long are we going to have to wait for someone to show up or for Ethan to bite the unlock button, when he's not even holding that key anymore.
I run inside trying not to get mad at my husband, it's not his fault, right. This happens all the time. I call my Tia (aunt in espanol) and bawling to her on the phone when she anwers. I don't want her to think someone has died. So through my tears, I tell her it's nothing big, just me being an over reactive mom who was hungry,tired and not feeling well, but had to calm down.
My sweet Tia, listened to me describe in detail my "halloween nightmare" and then prayed with me over the phone. I knew everything would be alright, I just needed to calm down and talking with her helped. I told her I would call once I knew what was going on.
So I walked outside and calmly asked Joe what was up, he said the police were going to be dispatched to help us. Then I looked at Ethan and lo and behold, he had the car key in his hand. I was like, oh Ethan, don't press that panic button. That's all we need to bring attention to our ordeal. ha! I was hoping that he would bite the unlock button so we didn't have to wait for however long it would take. Then he put the key in his mouth and started chewing, so Joe had his hand on the front door handle ready for the unlock, should Ethan actually bite down on the right button and moments later, to my delight, Ethan bit down and unlocked the door. Amen!
We called AAA and had them cancel the request. Then we got in the car and headed out to do what we started to.
Later Joe told me, that when he realized Ethan had locked himself in the car- he wasn't worried about Ethan, he knew we would get him out. Joe was worried what his wife was going to do to him, once he told her what happened. Ha- I laughed and was glad that everything turned out okay, even for Joe. ;o)
Sunday, October 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Oh my gosh KATHY!!!!!!! What a story!!!!!!You poor poor thing!!!! So glad it turned out ok in the end. Ethan is A GENIUS to bite the right button haha!
Post a Comment